Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I'm Blue (Da Ba Dee)

Since I've discovered a new passion and want to keep track of all my trials and tribulations, I think I'll start a new blog.  My new joy is none other than creating sweet treats.  I've been a watcher of the Food Network for quite a bit, but I hardly ever tried to imitate what I saw.  My husband, exasperated, wondered out loud how I could watch all these programs and not take an interest in re-creating those masterpieces.  At first, I had a pretty good excuse--I was working full-time and pregnant (with all-the-time "morning" sickness).  My new little bundle is now four months old, and, for a few months now, I have decided to take it to the next level and actually try out some stuff.  Don't get me wrong.  This certainly was not my first time in the kitchen, but this is the first time I've actually felt like I've been accomplishing something pretty fantastic.  I can't really explain it any further other than to say that something just clicked, and I've been looking forward to weekends (when I finally have the time to get in the kitchen) ever since.

I had always been a stickler and insisted on making my children's birthday cakes.  Yeah, that baby I mentioned up in the first paragraph is not my first--she's my third.  Yet another reason why kitchen time is precious time.  I have managed to do birthday cakes every birthday except my first son's fourth birthday, which was this past March.  I not only had the morning sickness but also the flu, so I couldn't do anything but order a cake that time.  Actually, it was my husband who did the ordering.  Anyway, I made some cupcakes for my little girl's baptism party back in April, and one of my guests liked them so much she flattered me by actually asking me to make the cake for her son's first birthday.  That party was this past weekend.  I had a lot of fun making the cake.  It took a lot of energy, several breaks to nurse my girl, and a tired electric mixer, but I got through it.  I'll always think of that as my first "gig."

What she wanted: a blue velvet cake with marshmallow and peanut butter filling and vanilla buttercream.  I used SprinkleBakes' adjustments for Paula Deen's blue velvet cake recipe and my own variation of Paula Deen's buttercream recipe.  I didn't use a recipe for the marshmallow creme and peanut butter filling.  I just put the two together at my own discretion, inspired by my Mom's Fluffernutter sandwiches. 

This is how it turned out:





Blue Velvet Cake
2 cups sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
eggs
tablespoon cocoa powder
tablespoon Wilton royal blue gel food coloring
small dab of Wilton violet gel food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
teaspoon salt
cup buttermilk
teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
tablespoon vinegar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, mix until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time and mix well after each addition. Mix cocoa and food colorings together to form a paste, and then add to sugar mixture; mix well. Sift together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture.  The batter will be thick!
If you're making a cake, evenly distribute the mixture in two 9" pans.  Paula says you can do three 8" if you want.  Cook at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.  
If you want to make cupcakes instead, line a cupcake pan with liners. Pour batter into cupcake papers and bake for 25-30 minutes.  
Whether you do cupcakes or cakes, you'll know it's done if a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
Peanut Butter Marshmallow Creme
1 large jar marshmallow creme
1/2 cup peanut butter
Gently stir peanut butter into marshmallow creme.

Vanilla Buttercream
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar (this is just a guideline!)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

With an electric mixer, cream butter in a large mixing bowl. Slowly beat in the sugar until smooth and creamy and sweetened to your liking (I pour in a little sugar, beat, then taste.  If it's too buttery, I add more sugar.  If it gets too sweet, I add a little flour). Add extract and stir to blend. Frost cake when fully cooled. If you are not using the frosting immediately, store it, covered, in the refrigerator and then bring it to room temperature just prior to using.


No comments:

Post a Comment